Saturday 8 October 2016

Thinking and Idea generation


This lecture were focusing on idea generation which inspired student's ideas by using a number of activities. 
I really enjoyed this lesson and I found the colour contrasting accompanied with song lyric brought out the atmosphere of  abstraction and inspired the viewers of topic ' idea generation'. When red background showed up with blue text ' Madness', my eyes were slightly dazzled because the colour was too contrasting and crazy. 

Image of "upside down & inside out " from OK Go

 Sometimes, we have to think outside of the box, we might get the idea from  an usual and madness way. This is certain true in the case of "Upside Down & Inside Out" from a creative American rock band  "OK Go". 

This music video amazed me as the whole video was taking place in weightlessness, everyone were floating in the air, tried to follow their dance path. The colourful balloon were floating around them and viewers can clearly see the paints splashed out and sprinkled everywhere in a slow motion scene. 

I like how they use this creative but complex routine to present the idea. It also reflected back to John Hegarty's studies that "Anyone can have ideas, you don't need any equipment and your idea can change the word"

Ideas drawn from other ideas

During the lecture, we mentioned fusion-hybrids. I found it is consistent with my  idea generation style as I always research other's work first to see how they achieved it and it might inspire me with different ideas based on their materials.

The following photos are what I've done during the class. As you see, I made a creature that consist of crocodile body shape but with two extra heads of giraffe and camel. The idea was came from the girl next to me who did a multi- bird heads creature。  
                                  


Additionally it reminded me of the Lernaean Hydra, was a serpentine water monster in Greek and Roman mythology. It possessed nine or more heads, for every head chopped off, the Hydra would regrow one or multiple heads.   Therefore, those materials inspired me to fabricate a multi-head creature like this.


I have also made several different hybrid creatures such as robot ladybird, flamingo-giraffe, flying zebra and so on. However, the works would have been more interesting if it had included some personal drawings. I should have drew some crab legs for ladybird in order to constitute a exaggeration crustacean.  




The wall sticks with student's hybrid works.


"Signs and Symbols" is a simple image that succinctly telling audiences the purpose behind the image. People frequently see it on the toilets, disable car park and road marks...We created our own toilet sign based on a film of our choice. 

My sign was a pink image of lady and gentleman holds bow and arrows. It is a distinctly sign of film "Hunger Games" because I drew the common props which audiences have seen thousands of times in the "Hunger Game" 




Lastly, I drew a peacock on the hand.  It is brilliant idea that transform hand into other beautiful member of the animal kingdom. This similar art recalls of body painting, a extraordinary, even spiritual, experience for artist, model and viewer. Those talented artists transform oneself into anything imaginable attracts many models to become living canvases. My peacock was not impressive, I only drew three furs and an eye to represent it. If I have more time, I would have coloured all fingers and sketch out the neck to make it more details.











References 

Duncan Macleod, (February 13,2016). Validity. [image of Upside down inside out of OK Go] Available at: http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/2016/ok-go-upside-down-inside-out/ 

Wikipedia. (5 October 2016). Lernaean Hydra, [online]. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra  [Accessed 08 October 2016].

Animal-dream.com, (2015). Validity. [image of  Lernaenean Hydra ] Available at: http://animal-dream.com/hydra.html









No comments:

Post a Comment